According to a recent survey by Forbes, the majority of customers like to research online but make purchases in stores. That means traditional businesses like even a bakery can get more customers by creating an online presence.
Now the first question that pops up in everyone minds is, how? Just create your blog and talk with your customers! The trick here is to keep in touch with your customers constantly, like a good companion, the more they hear about you the more likely they are to buy from you.
For example see how Two Sisters – a bakery in Alaska, USA promote their business. They regularly update their blog with their new recipes, offers and more and also share them on social media, which in turn gets shared by their viewers thus gradually increasing their popularity.
But how to make a blog site? Blogger.com is a very popular blogging platform By Google. The best thing about blogger is that it is FREE and easy to setup, yes, that’s right; it gives you free easy to use blogs. For a small business owner trying his hand first in blogging, thinking of making a blog free, this is a great place to start.
Given below in this article is a step by step guide on how to set up a blog site on blogger;
A) Initial Setup – how to register a blog on Blogger.com
- To start a BlogSpot account goes to com and click on the ‘Create Your Blog’ button. It will then ask for your Gmail login details, and since blogger is a Google blogging platform, only a Google account can be used to signup.
- To create your blog account you will be asked to showcase your profile details. You can either use your Google+ profile or go with ‘limited blogger’ profile which showcases only your name.
- Once the above two steps are complete you will be taken to a welcome page here from where you can create a new blog.
B) Create your Blog
1. When you click on the ‘create a new blog’ button a popup will appear asking for;
a. The name of the blog – Use your business name or the services/products you sell. This is what is usually displayed in search engine results
b. Blog URL – use your business name here. This is the URL where people can see your blog.
c. The theme – This is how your blog will look like. There are lots of themes to choose from, Balance and Elice are my favorite themes.
Fill the above fields and click on the ‘Create blog!’ button
C) Publishing your contents
1. As you created a blog you can start publishing contents right now. For that click on the “New Post” button on the top left corner. You will be taken to a page that resembles an MS Word file. Add the title of the post you want publish and fill up the below area with your contents, and click publish. And wrooom… you just published your first post.
Now there is also a ‘Preview’ button on the right top corner where you can preview your post before publishing, but you can also ‘Edit’ the post and update it even after publishing.
2. Once the contents are published you will be redirected back to your Blogspot dashboard which showcases information like the posts you published, Stats of visitors, the comments you received and also options like ‘Themes’ and ‘Layout’ to alter the design of your blog. And in case you want to delete blog on blogger it can be done from Settings->Other
If you encounter any difficulty to open a BlogSpot account you can always refer google blogger help. I opened my own BlogSpot account when I was 18 and it was very easy. Blogger is a great tool to promote your business for free, so don’t miss your chance.